Friday, January 16, 2009

Thought on Thinking in Pictures

I definitely buy into the idea that animals think, have emotions, even generalize. I have only to observe my cat to know this. I’ll share a little story.
Anna is a high-strung, half Siamese cat. She had something of a hard life before she came to me, as a result I have had to be very careful in my interactions with her. She is very sensitive and easily upset. Reprimanding her bad behavior is no easy task. I find a water bottle with a mist sprayer works best.
When I first moved into my apartment, Anna developed a habit of chewing on the window blinds. She punched holes with her teeth in the slats. To deter this behavior, I taped tissue paper to the windows. Until she could learn to sit nicely in a window and watch the scenery without eating my blinds, I revoked her window privileges on just two windows. She had access to all other windows but her favorite two. I sometimes took the tissue paper down and let her sit in those two windows, but anytime she chewed the blinds, I put up the tissue paper again. Things went according to my plan until the day she outsmarted me. By accident, she tore the tissue paper in one window. She went directly to the other window and tore the other tissue paper. She then celebrated her success by giving me a very defiant, very human stare, I kid you not.
Anna is sitting next to me now. I sometimes wonder which of us is the smarter.

1 comment:

  1. It's scary how smart they are sometimes, isn't it?

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete